Searching...
Tuesday, July 13, 2010
7/13/2010 04:33:00 PM

Video Game Rentals and My Approach To Reading (and Probably A Lot of Other Things Too)

While I was in the library today reading through David Hesselgrave's Paradigms In Conflict, I wandered over to the "new books" shelf which is in the front part of the library, near the entrance, just past the lending desk. Actually, I know it does not simply contain new releases, thus I'm not sure what the precise unifying factor is for the shelf. Nevertheless, several of the books are brand new, so my label of "new books" will function just fine. While my eyes were perusing over the shelf, I happened to notice Kevin Vanhoozer's Remythologizing Theology, which happened to draw my interest. Being curious to read it (just not today), I figured I would look it up on Amazon to see how much it was, thinking that perhaps I could simply add it to my library one day. However, at the price of $130.99, it is not a title which I will be looking to purchase anytime soon. Thinking further though, I realized that once I'm done with my missions class, I'll have roughly the next two weeks to read through it. Therefore I decided to check it out.

Later on, as I was driving to meet up with my fiance, I recalled how as a child, I would often rent games once a week (usually on a Friday afternoon) to play on my Nintendo Entertainment System. The number of titles that I popped in my old NES in those days is quite beyond my memory's ability to recall. Yet what I recall clearly is how great a surface level at which I played these games and how the next week, I was already eager to move onto another title.

After my recollection of my childhood videogaming habits, I connected that approach to how often I briefly become interested in various books and never really dive into them full-fledged, attaining a respectable understanding of the content which they contain. So many works appeal to me at times and only capture my fancy for a short period of time. Even less do I make it to the level of application with books.

So, I share all of that to set out to be more like this guy and read more great works this year, not only grasping their content but also finding valuable ways to apply the knowledge found to life and ministry. Stop one for this summer is...Remythologizing Theology.

2 comments :

omochan said...

one: sounds cool.

two: thanks for being open with that.

:)

A Boy and his God said...

i too have noticed my childhood characteristics in my life now.

when i was a kid, i geeked out about music. i'd endlessly look though cd shops looking for CDs i didn't have yet. i had to buy them all, collect complete discographies of my favorite bands. when i got home i'd listen to each and every word as i read the lyrics along with each song.

and now that my focus has shifted from music and CDs to books, i do the same thing. i go to thrift stores, pouring over old copies of books to find authors i know and respect. even if i already owned the book, i'd buy a copy to give away. having an Erwin McManus book is one thing. to only have paid 1 dollar for a copy is quite another.

i think both cases show my need to own things. now that i understand this need, i move towards simplicity. i give away books i've read, or ones that i know i'll never get around to.

truth be told, just until a year ago, i did this with movies. until i found that netflix is more financially doable.

i think it's funny that you discovered this same thing about yourself and videogames.

 
Back to top!