Searching...
Sunday, September 30, 2007
9/30/2007 08:29:00 PM

Thoughts On a Book

So I am currently reading Joshua Harris' Boy Meets Girl (special thanks to Allen M.) I wish I had read it several years earlier, even though I may not even yet have a precisely applicable reason for which to read it. Personally, I cannot find many major points of disagreement with Harris, assuming one approaches his suggested methods with the more-strongly implied foundations--a healthy fear of God and a desire to honor Him absolutely in one's relationships. Take, for instance, Harris and his wife's commitment to not kiss each other until their wedding day(which he does not prescribe as a necessary, or even highly recommended). Many would write off such an idea as over the top; some would even hate such a practice. Yet any who would feel this way ought to at once question their reasons for doing so. If they feel that they are truly doing what is best for the other person and what is most honoring to God by kissing at a prior point in the relationship, then let the lips collide with refrained passion. Yet I believe that more often than not, the real reason most people would disregard this idea is simply due to their own want to gratify their sexual desires. Whichever case one falls in, he or she cannot disagree with the point Harris hangs this suggestion on-kissing is only beginning to unwrap the present; once you start, you'll likely not want to stop. The question, "then why start?" naturally follows. It may sound that I view this practice as prescriptive; I do not, yet I believe it is something worth considering and that either way, many individuals could benefit today by placing a higher value and price on their affections.

While there are numerous points that truly "jump off the pages" at me, the above really grabs my attention at how far Harris and his wife were committed to physically guarding themselves. What is even more important is the heart that motivated them to do this. That is where the real issue lies. At the same time though, having external markers and citadels in the forms of guidelines and accountability can only help.

One of Harris' chapters in particular intrigues me. In it he clearly lays out some of the basic principles governing what it truly means to be a man or a woman. Biblical manhood is a concept I have been and will continue to study and grow in all my life, but now especially it is thrust in my face like a friend holding a sign in front of my eyes. As I read these characteristics, I am both reminded of my past failures and filled with the hope of who God is making me to be.

As I consider the possibility of courtship that is looming on the horizon, I am thankful for this short work and the conviction and instruction God is bringing my way through it. While I have not yet read from cover to cover, I would heartily recommend this work.

0 comments :

 
Back to top!